Sunday, May 1, 2011

1 Peter 1:6-7

I figured since I was going through 1 Peter and wanted to dig deeper, I'd continue to post things when the Lord showed me something really incredible. :) So here it goes for today...


"In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." 
1 Peter 1:6-7


-GREATLY rejoice- this is a joy that comes from the unchanging, eternal relationship with God. 

-Various trials=troubles

-Peter reveals characteristics of "troubles" in these verses
1. "little while"- trouble does not last.
2. "if necessary"- trouble serves a purpose.
3. "distressed"- trouble brings turmoil
4. "trials"- trouble comes in various forms.
5. "greatly rejoice"- trouble should not diminish the Christian's joy. 

-God's purpose in allowing trouble is to test the reality of one's faith. 

-When a believer comes through a trial still trusting the Lord, he is assured that his faith is genuine. 
(Genesis 22:1-12, Job 1:20-22)

-The revelation of Jesus Christ refers to His second coming- specifically when He comes to call and reward His redeemed people (the rapture) 


After reading this it was so evident to me that this past season has been a trial. It's been challenging and draining and at times has pushed me to the edge. It seems as if this trail is coming to an end. My only thought is, "how am I coming out of it?"Am I coming out with my faith firm and rooted in the Lord? Am I coming out with my faith broken and shattered? Or am I coming out the same as when I went in? Unfortunately, I'm not too sure where I'll be coming out. During the trial, was I greatly rejoicing? No, I wasn't. Even though on a daily basis my sweet fiance would simply remind me, "Rejoice." But if you were to ask me today, "Are you rejoicing?" I would say yes. 

This season has grown me more than I could have imagined. 

So think about where you're at today. Are you in one of those seasons of trial and trouble? If not, you're probably about to go into one. My advice would be to make a mental note that it wont last, serves a purpose, brings turmoil, comes in various forms, but ultimately... that it should not diminish your joy! 


So, when a trial comes, rejoice! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Amanda! I have been looking for a way to contact you but cannot find your e-mail anywhere. Please shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance! :)

    mail@shepherdsdaughter.org

    ReplyDelete