Monday, September 27, 2010

Imagine.

Last week I went on a field trip to a national wildlife reserve near my school. We walked through the marsh for quite some time and all my mind could think about was the river walk in Haiti. As I walked through this marsh with my classmates, I was in another world. I was imagining the children running up and grabbing onto my hands. I imagined them asking me questions in Creole and me only being able to answer a few of them. I imagined the children yelling "BEBE FOU!" at Ashley as she ran ahead and they chased her. Then instantly I was snapped back to reality as the guide explained to us how they were preserving the everglades by pouring millions of dollars into measuring the water and how it flows in the marsh... 

Enough said. 
(Florida Marsh)

That's where I found myself wondering how in the world I got there. I'm standing in the marsh, listening to how important it is to protect the everglades and the water and I'm wondering... isn't it more important that there are people across the world that are dying because they do not have clean water or any water at all? 

From then on I could not focus any longer on the information being fed to us by the tour guide. My mind was back in Haiti along with my heart. It was with all the children I've grown to love so dearly. It was with the mommies. The babies. It was with every single person that I came in contact with while I was there. 

To be fully honest, I would have chosen to be on the river walk, walking through a village surrounded by mountains and beautiful trees over being at the wildlife preserve. And that's just the truth. 

(River Walk)
(Beauty of the Creator)





3 comments:

  1. this happened to me the other day, except i was not in a marsh, i was in a super nice neighborhood in OKC. i wanted to buy one of the houses and let homeless kids move in. i love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost cried reading this Amanda!! We love you here sooo much, but we all know you are called somewhere else. Stay strong &&& in God's PERFECT timing you will be back at home in Haiti where you belong. But for now I am selfishly jealous I get to have you here even for a little bit :)
    I love you best friend

    ReplyDelete